To update an existing list with additional fields (such as first name), you need to update the database and import the CSV file with the data.
Follow these steps to update a list
- Hover over the Database Management icon (person with a cog) in the platform navigation and click Export.
- Select the list you’d like to export.
- Select the relevant options and fields you’d like to update.
- Select Export to File to download the data as a CSV file to your computer.
- Click Export Data in the top-right corner.
- Open the file you’ve downloaded and convert it to columns.
- Add the new field and save.
- Hover over the Database Management icon (person with a cog) in the platform navigation and click Imports > New Import.
- Upload the data file you just worked on.
- Follow the import steps provided.
- In the Import Options step, select Update duplicate contacts.
- Click Continue.
- Confirm the data and click Start Import.
This will import new information and update any fields that you’ve assigned to a contact. In other words, if a field in your updated list is blank and you import it, the blank field overwrites the data that was originally assigned to the contact.
Working on the list exported from the system is a good way to add extra fields without affecting the existing data.